Monday, February 23, 2009

Below is a photo of two corrugated ribs, both of which show the little blips of color that occur when you first start the ribbing on the purl stitches. I’ve read every where I can on how to prevent this but closest I can come is Meg Swenson’s PWYC (purl when you can) method. I’m probably not understnading something as I cannot figure out how to prevent those little blips of color when you change from one purl color to another.



I've started "Lismore" in Jamieson & Smith colors. The top rib is the start of Lismore. Still working on laying out a more vertical stranded sweater but it isn't as easy as I thought it might be. Lismore is large charts so doesn't look as horizontally striped. This photo is my internet knitting friend Junie's Lismore from a few years ago. I won't make the high turtleneck and my colors are a bit more muted but the design charts are the same.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Meg's PWYC method you only purl in one of the colors (usually background in her two color sweaters) and you only purl when the stitch is above a stitch of the same color. That's how you avoid the blips! Because PMYC will only work with the same colors above each other it won't work in this instance. As long as you're purling you'll get blips with a color change...the only thing you could do is knit the first row of the new color then purl above it.

Anonymous said...

Lismore is one of my favorite Starmore designs! I can't wait to see your version!

I usually just knit the entire row (in pattern so I'd do K2 one color, K2 the second color for K2P2rib) when I add a new color to the purl stitches of corrugated ribbing. Then on the next row just work as normal. This eliminates the purl bumps but it definitely makes the item less stretchy.

Anita in SE IN said...

I was taught to knit the first row of a new color, it really does not show or distort your rib or anything and it gets rid of the blips.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the purl blips are particularly noticeable in the context of the whole garment so have never worried about them. Your colors are gorgeous - like an Arizona winter sunset during a temperature inversion when the purples are at their most vibrant.