Saturday, April 07, 2007

My time with making Fair Isles isn't long enough to have stood the test of a lot of wearing and washing. So far so good with the steek stitches holding up crocheted. I never knot or tie on. Instead I spit splice so there are no ends hanging ever. The splice ends up being the yarn that is used up while knitting the steek. First steek I ever cut was on a sweater purchased at GoodWill and cut up for practice. Sure took some of the terror away over cutting a sweater you worked on for months.







Even better would be working a Russian Join. See http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm I haven't tried it yet but I wonder why you couldn't prepare the yarn for a Russian Join like you do for spit splice and then fold them back and spit splice instead of sewing with a needle. I'll have to try that.

I do nine stitch steeks with the colors arranged like this with 1 being the pattern and 2 being the background

First row - 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1

Second Row - 2 1 2 2 1 2 2 1 2

Third row - 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1

Fourth row - 2 1 2 2 1 2 2 1 2

See how the center three stitches always have the background on either side of the center patten color? When you crochet half of the 3rd stitch to half of the 4th stitch it is easy to see which stitch you are using because of the alternating colors. Same when you crochet half of the sixth stitch to half of the seventh. The middle fifth stitch is the guide line used to cut the steek after the crochet is done.
The photos show the steek I'm working with now and also a finished crocheted steek on the Marina sweater both on the front band and inside the armhole. I tacked down the front but not the armhole which lies flat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you do your steeks. I will keep that in mind for my next Fair Isle.

Knitterary said...

What a great idea, buying a Goodwill sweater to practice steeking. I've never steeked because it seems so permanent and potentially disastrous, but your practice tip just made all my fear drain away. Thank you.

~Lynn~ said...

I really enjoy your blog. Your writing makes me think I can do steeking. I may just try it while I am recouping from back surgery the end of May.
SNOW! I am so sick of snow! We still have a lot of that stuff on the ground up here in Millinocket! We are anxiously waiting to get to the lake for the summer, but Mother Nature is not helping us one bit! There is ice and no water on the lake. The mud hasn't started to dry up and the last storm dropped over a foot of snow that wasn't removed from the road increasing our waiting time even more! At least you can get in your RV and go! Some day!!! Oh well, for now I will just knit, knit, and knit some more.
Take care and have a great summer!