Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sometimes I wonder why I keep knitting since my brain seems to be disappearing. The sleeves of Erin were going so well. I've rotated the charts so that the sleeves would be knit upside down, thus making the mythical beasts right side when the arm is down. I marked the charts with sleeve decreases so they are being made evenly on both sleeves. So merrily, merrily I knit the first three rows of Chart D to set up the sleeves, then Chart C which in my colors is the turquoise rows. Then my brain took a break and I knit Chart A, the beast, instead of Chart B which is the checkerboard looking band. Since I'm knitting a chart on one sleeve, then the same chart on the second sleeve to keep the sleeves going, I now have both sleeves with beasts done and Chart B skipped. Is this mistake really going to stop Western Civilization?? NO but it sure am disappointed in myself. My dear DH asked me if knitters followed each other around with the patterns, checking to be sure it was slavishly followed. Well NO and as usual he lifted my spirits. I suppose if anyone ever comes up to me and saves there is a chart band missing, I'll just ask them if I could take a look at their Erin

I'm not going to rip out 33 X 2 rows of chart with decreases. I'll put the checkerboard on both sides of the next turquoise chart and call it good. It is a beautiful pattern and is intricate enough that non knitters will never know those rows aren't there.

In the blog post of July 29th, you can see the skipped chart. The first sleeve has the turquoise band which is NOT supposed to have a checkerboard at the top but is supposed to have it at the bottom. Oh well!

Anne

4 comments:

trainlady said...

Anne,

I went back to July 29 and looked. Knowing what I was looking for, it still wasn't blatantly obvious because I still see what I saw then, the sweater just glows. It is a beautiful thing.

Laritza said...

Oh well! Better now than later.

Sheila said...

No one will notice! It is a beautiful sweater and patterns are suggestions.

Anonymous said...

The way I see this is, like Bob Ross used to say whenever he made a mistake while painting, you've just created a happy accident! Don't think of it as a mistake, just your mind using it's creative right to be different. :-)